Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 5: Boring to Coeur D'Alene

We got out later than our planned 9am start time. It was mostly due to the length of time required to take showers and break camp. On the way to I-84, we had a small rebellion and pulled into a drive-through Starbucks. The new person we got on the speaker was so confused I was afraid I was going to end up with a quadruple espresso.
Ou first stop was at the Bonneville Dam and Fish Hatcheries. I remember going through Hoover and Grand Coulee with my Dad and thinking that it was kinda neat but a little odd to stop to see a dam. Thirty-odd years later, I still think the same thing but now understand a little more where he was coming from.

We're currently driving through a place called The Dalles. The fellow at the full serve gas station pronounced this "Dayles" though I keep wanting to call it the Dulls. Aside from the Columbia River on our right, we could easily be in Nevada. Very sparse low scrub, lots of rocky clifsides and none of those wonderful trees that I was so tired of. I think this is where Oregonians send their Republicans.

Idaho has no atmosphere. Temperatures change quickly when the sun rises or sets. If you're standing next to a fire, the side of you facing the fire will toasty warm and the other half will be cold as the driven snow.

Our stop in Coeur D'Alene (prounounced Coor Da Lain for you who don't know) finds us in a fairly nice campground. Nestled against a wooded hillside, Wolfe Campground has nice rows of picnic tables and fire pits, green grass and and the sound of the ocean, er, freeway, in the background. RV parks, so I'm told, are always located next to freeways.

Highlights:
1. Internet Access, even if I have to pay for it
2. Meeting up with the rest of the caravan (three more cousins, their parents, and mom-in-law). We are now 13 strong and ready to conquer southern Canada.

Little Quirks:
1. Nothing to report, SIR!

No comments: