Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking

Day 3: Monday 6/18

One of the many odd things about camping is that your clock tends to be way off. It's 6:15am and I've already been up for forty five minutes. That's just wrong on so many levels. The funny thing was that my body, aided by the distance of the nearest bathroom and smoker's hack call of crow told me that IT WAS TIME TO GET UP. So I sit here now in my favorite camping chair, nestled in a part of the seemingly endless forest that is Oregon, preparing this blog for the next time that I get hooked up to the internet. In fairness to you wistfully picturing me ensconced in a pine forest (correct), serenaded by birds (correct), sitting alone while the others sleep (correct) you should also add to your mental picture the fact that I'm sitting next to the utility box commonly found in sites with "RV Hookups" charging both my mobile phone and laptop batteries. You can take the boy out of Silicon Valley...

Our destination today is the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry or OMSI. The two boys (9 and 10) are looking forward to it with the fading innocent excitemnt of their age. It's still okay to like it but they already KNOW a lot of that stuff. The twelve-year-old girls has a lot of questions. Where are we going again? What does that stand for? What does Science and Industry mean? Translation: when can we go to the gift shop and be done with this?

No comments: